Monday, January 17, 2011

As Any Mother to the Savior

As Thou didst walk the lanes of Galilee,
So, loving Savior; walk with her for me,
For since the years have passed and she is grown,
I cannot follow; she must walk alone

Be Thou my feet that I have had to stay,
For Thou canst comrade her on every way;
Be Thou my voice when sinful things allure,
Pleading with her to choose those which endure.
Be thou my hands that would keep hers in mine,
And all things else that mothers must resign.

When she was little, I could walk and guide,
But now I pray that Thou be at her side.
And as Thy blessed mother folded Thee,
So, loving Savior, fold my girl for me.

I found that poem in the book "The Shaping of a Christian Family" by Elisabeth Elliot. Her mother used that poem to encourage Elisabeth when she was a young lady. I loved it; however, I am having trouble understanding the last two lines, any takers???

2 comments:

  1. I honestly have no idea, but a guess would be like folding/wrapping your arms around someone...like His mother held Him in her arms, she wants Him to do the same for her daughter...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a handwritten (calligraphic), yellowed version as only Nuns could write a century ago. It is the BOY version... it is so old, the "f" in old English represents the "h" in the long ago written/spoken context.

    ReplyDelete