Monday, August 1, 2011

Homemade Banana Oat Bars

I have been looking all over the place for a recipe for some type of granola bar that didn't have eggs, honey, or peanut butter. I wanted some for Sawyer to eat and for Clint and I to enjoy...well I found my recipe!

It's healthy, it's yummy, and everyone likes them!

Banana Oat Bars

3 large, ripe bananas (the browner the better!), well mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 cups quick oats
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4cup milled flax seeds
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup coconut, finely shredded & sweetened
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped almonds
Pinch of brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, racks in the top third.

In a large bowl combine the bananas, vanilla extract, and apple sauce. Set aside. In another bowl whisk together the oats, flour, flax seeds, shredded coconut, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks and dried fruit. Press the mixture into a greased 8" stoneware pan and cooked them for about 30 minutes. I cut them into 12 bars.

*I made a pan for Sawyer and left out the chocolate chips, almonds, and cranberries. She loves them, and I don't feel bad for letting her eat lots of them!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment